Compilation error running get_started.py: `.bss' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

I’m running the file get_started.py (downloaded from the “Get Started with TVM” tutorial) on Ubuntu 16.04. CMake, tvm and LLVM all appear to be installed properly. But when I run $ python get started.py, I get the following error:

I’m running the file get_started.py (downloaded from the “Get Started with TVM” tutorial) on Ubuntu 16.04. CMake, tvm and LLVM all appear to be installed properly. But when I run $ python get started.py, I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "get_started.py", line 196, in <module> cc.create_shared(temp.relpath("myadd.so"), [temp.relpath("myadd.o")]) File "/home/users/jnakhleh/tvm/python/tvm/contrib/cc.py", line 33, in create_shared _linux_shared(output, objects, options, cc) File "/home/users/jnakhleh/tvm/python/tvm/contrib/cc.py", line 58, in _linux_shared raise RuntimeError(msg) RuntimeError: Compilation error: /usr/bin/ld: /tmp/tmpwI92Zd/myadd.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S against '.bss' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC /tmp/tmpwI92Zd/myadd.o: error adding symbols: Bad value collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Here is a screenshot of the output:

I have searched this error online and haven’t found any helpful explanations of what is causing this. I haven’t modified the code at all, it’s exactly how it is written for the tutorial, so it seems this may be an issue with TVM. Any help would be appreciated.

There seems to already be another thread on this issue with a few proposed workarounds.