Jupyter Notebooks and Autotuning

HI,

I’ve been hitting This event loop is already running when trying to run autotuning from Jupyter notebooks. Is this something that is easily avoided? (I do realize that Jupyter and long-running things are … special.)

For now I have worked around by moving the invocation of the autotuner in a second thread (thread.Thread(…) ; t.start(); t.join() where in the thread I create but don’t start a tornado IOLoop and then run the autotuner):

# we use threading and tornado here to work around TVM and Jupyter colliding over IOLoops
    # In a regular python command line, you should be able to just call the tuner...
    import threading 
    import tornado

# create tuner
    tuner = tvm.autotvm.tuner.XGBTuner(tsk, loss_type='rank')
    if os.path.isfile(tmp_log_file):
        tuner.load_history(tvm.autotvm.record.load_from_file(tmp_log_file))

# do tuning
    tsk_trial = min(n_trial, len(tsk.config_space))
    def tune_task_fn():
        iol = tornado.ioloop.IOLoop()
        tuner.tune(
            n_trial=2000,
            early_stopping=600,
            measure_option=tvm.autotvm.measure_option(
                builder=tvm.autotvm.LocalBuilder(timeout=10),
                runner=tvm.autotvm.LocalRunner(number=20, repeat=3, timeout=4, min_repeat_ms=150)),
            callbacks=[
                tvm.autotvm.callback.progress_bar(tsk_trial, prefix=prefix),
                tvm.autotvm.callback.log_to_file(tmp_log_file)
            ])

t = threading.Thread(target=tune_task_fn)
    t.start()
    t.join()   

This looks a bit clumsy but seems to work (maybe it can be helpful to others). Of course, one easy remedy would be to do the thread + ioloop dance in the autotuner itself if there is an ioloop already running in the current thread.

Best regards

Thomas

The easuest way to do so might be starting the RPC tracker and serve separately(and not use LocalRunner)