TVM Online Meetups

We here at OctoML are thinking of hosting an online TVM meetup to give people a way to connect while working from home and interact in a higher bandwidth medium than here or Github issues. Following the TVM meeting guidelines and adapting them to an online setting to the extent possible, video would be recorded and put online immediately afterwards. Content would be rather informal with one or two slots for volunteers to walk through RFCs or other topics of interest and would be open for anyone to present from the community by volunteers. The main outstanding question before doing this is:

• Is there enough interest from the community to join an online/video TVM meetup?

Please heart this message or reply if so and I’ll take that as a gauge of interest. If there was enough interest, we could also make this recurring (monhtly with rotating hosts?). If we made it recurring, then we could also alternate times to be European and Asian timezone friendly.

Also, are there people who would be willing to volunteer to speak for a topic? Something like 10-20 minutes. Please let me know either here or DM if so.

Thanks!

24 Likes

I think this is a good initiative. However it is quite expensive in terms of logistics and organization , so a sweet spot needs to be found in terms of frequency and length.

Additionally it’s probably time to think about using the slack channels more and ensuring that conversations on slack move to the discuss forums or the PRs once the interactive conversations happen. I suppose if there is sufficient interest we should experiment with https://github.com/integrations/slack ?

regards Ramana

re: slack. Right now the slack channel is open for every to join. to keep things simple, we view slack as non-achival, which means design discussions and RFCs are preferred to be bought into the discuss or github(both of them archives to ASF mail-list).

So far most of the topics we have today seems to fit into the scope of the discuss forum, where most conversations happens asynchrously. Perhaps in occasions like meetup or peer collaborations, when most people want a more online IRC style communication channel, slack can be used.

My motivation was indeed for peer collaboration or interactive peer conversations and an additional use of existing tools in the toolbox.

regards Ramana

1 Like

I’m interested in an online meetup. The meetup also serves as a way to expand the TVM community.

However it is quite expensive in terms of logistics and organization

@ramana-arm, to keep this light weight, my thought was initially to:

1. Put up an agenda Google doc a few weeks before the scheduled day
  2. Invite people to add topics to discuss (and/or volunteer to talk about topics from anywhere from 1-15 minutes).
  3. The day of, we all meet in a Zoom call (simultaneously live streamed to Youtube). Then the video recording is already live on Youtube at the end of the meeting (and we can post another copy for anyone without access to Youtube).

That way there is very little overhead, and if there’s not much to discuss, we end early.

And given the low effort, we can just try it out as an experiment to see how it goes for a first time. Or did you have another format in mind that made you mention the expensive logistics and organization?

Hi @bgchun, thanks for your input! Your perspective as a first time poster here is definitely appreciated.

@jknight - In case it wasn’t obvious I do support the initiative.

Yes, the scheme you have outlined works (and seems to work) reasonably well for information dissemenination about new features.

When there are interactive discussions in that fashion and design changes made due to the discussion in an rfc , a common pitfall is summarizing the changes as : “As discussed on irc or zoom” without providing a reference to it. We ought to then remember to reflect the salient points back in that discussion by summarizing the discussion and linking back to the video on youtube.

It was that aspect of transcribing the discussion from a video that made me think of it as a bit of additional overhead but that probably comes from my own bias of being more familiar with using irc like media and re-reading text for reflecting such discussions as I find skim-reading a discussion faster than serially watching a video. But that’s a personal opinion :wink:

regards Ramana

Apache TVM Online Meetup - May 21

• Host: OctoML
  • Format: Zoom (then recording on Youtube)
  • Timezones: US and European friendly (planning to alternate to Asia friendly for the next one)

Okay, I’d like to go ahead and give this a try on Thursday, May 21 at 9am PST (see timezone conversions here). OctoML will host a zoom meeting which will be recorded and posted onto Youtube afterwards.

You’ll need to complete a simple free registration for the zoom meeting here if you want to participate live (this requirement is an attempt to curb zoom “crashers”). Let me know if anyone has any issues with this.

And the agenda is live here on Google docs feel free to make comments and suggestions on the format and content or to volunteer to present something. You can also comment here in this discuss thread. Currently we have:

Tentative (as of May 5th) agenda:

• 2 min - Introduction - Jason Knight
  • 10 min - Update on Unified IR work - Tianqi Chen
  • 10 min - Graph pattern matching and rewriting - Matthew Brookhart
  • < volunteers requested>
  • (Time available) - Open mic
    • Suggestions for future meeting topics / cadence

We’ll send some announcements over Twitter, but feel free to amplify in any media you have access to.

4 Likes

Edit: posting this reply separately for link snapshotting purposes:

@ramana-arm Great points and we will make sure that any discussion in an online meetup is a complement, rather than a substitute for RFCs, Github issues, and discuss threads.

Apache TVM Community Meeting, third Thursday of every month starting September 17

The TVM Community meetings will resume on Thursday, September 17 at 9 AM PT. The meeting will be held monthly on every third Thursday. The basic starting point for the agenda is:

• Introductions
  • Sub Project Updates
  • Demo
  • Shout Outs
  • Open Discussion

If you have topics that you would like to propose, please suggest them here or on the TVM Community Meeting Agenda. I’ve set up a TVM events tracker to help everyone keep track of when community events are taking place and how to participate.

As we get closer to the community meeting date, I’ll send a reminder to this topic for agenda items, demos, ans shoutouts. We’ll also send out announcements over Twitter.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, a reminder that the monthly community meeting is returning on September 17. If you have any project updates, shout outs, or topics for open discussion please add them to the meeting agenda.

We’re also looking for demos! If you have a example of a neat or unique way that you’re using TVM, or have a new feature you want to show off, please consider signing up to give a demonstration of it during the meeting.

Thanks! Chris

1 Like