[TVM Scheduling] Split factors missmatch to original extent

Hello all,

I have been confronted with a problem that I am unsure how to solve and therefore thought to ask the community. Hopefully the problem is not so trivial :slight_smile:

We know that using some_tvm_schedule[some_tvm_stage].split(axis=some_tvm_axis,factor=some_factor) scheduling primitive we can create two axes some_tvm_axis.outer and some_tvm_axis.inner the domains would be (to my understanding):

• some_tvm_axis.outer.dom = [0, ceil(previous_dom/some_factor))
  • some_tvm_axis.inner.dom = [0,some_factor)

This is all good and clear to understand… until you have a schedule with a couple of stages.
Why? If the schedule has many stages, then I have an impression that the schedule.normalize() and schedule.InferBound(...) will create larger domains for the stages farther away from the output.

1. Is this impression I have true? or am I seeing such an expansion due to some other problems?

Suppose now that you would want to split some axis and you wish that the split factors are integer dividers of the original domains (i.e. if(not some_tvm_axis.dom.extent%16){some_factor=4}) . Because the methods mentioned before (i.e. InferBound) change the domains of the axes of all stages, then you can no longer expect the inferred bounds to still be an integer multiplier of the factors.
But at the level you can call split(...) there is no information of the consumer stages expanding the original domains. In other words you define all your split(...) assuming that the domains wont be changed

1. Is there any way to track the changes of domains before schedule.ScheduleOps(...)? or am I again misunderstanding something

I know that the ir_pass.LoopPartition(if enabled) can deal with some of the cases of the domain being expanded (a bunch of if(likely(...)) statements get simplified), but I am still seeing some problems of ir_pass.LoopPartition generating for loops like this for (variable_name, 0,0) which is a for loop which shouldn’t execute

1. Can all code inside a scope of a for(variable_name,0,0) be skipped? always?

FYI here a simple output of print(tvm.lower(...,simple_mode=True)) for two cases
In both:

• Original dimension of axes c=[0,64), h=[0,256) and w=[0,512)
  • Splitting factors are 64, 256 and 512 respectively (i.e. perfect splits)
//First case taskDataOutput_T0_L1 is the output of the schedule

//Without Splitting
produce taskDataOutput_T0_L1 {
  for (c, 0, 64) {
    for (h, 0, 256) {
      for (w, 0, 512) {
        taskDataOutput_T0_L1[((((c*256) + h)*512) + w)] = previousStageTensor[((((c*256) + h)*512) + w)]
      }
    }
  }
}

//With Splitting
  for (c.inner, 0, 64) {
    for (h.inner, 0, 256) {
      for (w.inner, 0, 512) {
        taskDataOutput_T0_L1[((((c.inner*256) + h.inner)*512) + w.inner)] = previousStageTensor[((((c.inner*256) + h.inner)*512) + w.inner)]
      }
    }
  }
}
//Second case taskDataOutput_T0_L1 is an intermediate stage of the schedule

//Without Splitting
  for (c, 0, 64) {
    for (h, 0, 258) {//was originally 256
      for (w, 0, 514) { //was originally 512
        if (likely((1 <= h))) {
          if (likely((h < 257))) {
            if (likely((1 <= w))) {
              if (likely((w < 513))) {
                taskDataOutput_T0_L1[(((((c*256) + h)*512) + w) + -513)] = previousStageTensor[(((((c*256) + h)*512) + w) + -513)]
              }
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}
//With Splitting
  for (h.outer, 0, 2) {//because ceil(258/256) !=0
    for (w.outer, 0, 2) {//because ceil(514/512) !=0
      for (c.inner, 0, 64) {
        for (h.inner, 0, 256) {
          for (w.inner, 0, 512) {
            if (likely(((h.outer*256) < (258 - h.inner)))) {
              if (likely(((w.outer*512) < (514 - w.inner)))) {
                if (likely(((1 - h.inner) <= (h.outer*256)))) {
                  if (likely(((h.outer*256) < (257 - h.inner)))) {
                    if (likely(((1 - w.inner) <= (w.outer*512)))) {
                      if (likely(((w.outer*512) < (513 - w.inner)))) {
                        taskDataOutput_T0_L1[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + h.inner) + w.outer)*512) + w.inner) + -513)] = previousStageTensor[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + h.inner) + w.outer)*512) + w.inner) + -513)]
                      }
                    }
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}
  1. Suggestions?

PS:
The printed code after enabling ir_pass.LoopPartition in case #2 with splitting.
(Which in all honesty looks awful but is probably correct)

for (h.outer, 0, 2) {
    for (w.outer, 0, 2) {
      for (c.inner, 0, 64) {
        for (h.inner, 0, (1 - min((h.outer*256), 1))) {
          for (w.inner, 0, 512) {
            if (((h.outer*256) < (258 - h.inner))) {
              if (((w.outer*512) < (514 - w.inner))) {
                if (((1 - h.inner) <= (h.outer*256))) {
                  if (((h.outer*256) < (257 - h.inner))) {
                    if (((1 - w.inner) <= (w.outer*512))) {
                      if (((w.outer*512) < (513 - w.inner))) {
                        taskDataOutput_T0_L1[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + h.inner) + w.outer)*512) + w.inner) + -513)] = previousStageTensor[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + h.inner) + w.outer)*512) + w.inner) + -513)]
                      }
                    }
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          }
        }
        for (h.inner, 0, ((min((h.outer*256), 1) - max((h.outer*256), 2)) + 256)) {
          for (w.inner, 0, (1 - min((w.outer*512), 1))) {
                  taskDataOutput_T0_L1[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + (h.inner - min((h.outer*256), 1))) + w.outer)*512) + w.inner) + -1)] = previousStageTensor[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + (h.inner - min((h.outer*256), 1))) + w.outer)*512) + w.inner) + -1)]
                }
              }
            }
          }
          for (w.inner, 0, ((min((w.outer*512), 1) - max((w.outer*512), 2)) + 512)) {
            taskDataOutput_T0_L1[((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + (h.inner - min((h.outer*256), 1))) + w.outer)*512) + (w.inner - min((w.outer*512), 1)))] = previousStageTensor[((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + (h.inner - min((h.outer*256), 1))) + w.outer)*512) + (w.inner - min((w.outer*512), 1)))]
          }
          for (w.inner, 0, (max((w.outer*512), 2) + -1)) {
            if (((w.outer*512) < ((max((w.outer*512), 2) - w.inner) + 1))) {
              if ((((max((w.outer*512), 2) - w.inner) + -512) <= (w.outer*512))) {
                if (((w.outer*512) < (max((w.outer*512), 2) - w.inner))) {
                  taskDataOutput_T0_L1[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + (h.inner - min((h.outer*256), 1))) + w.outer)*512) + (w.inner - max((w.outer*512), 2))) + 512)] = previousStageTensor[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + (h.inner - min((h.outer*256), 1))) + w.outer)*512) + (w.inner - max((w.outer*512), 2))) + 512)]
                }
              }
            }
          }
        }
        for (h.inner, 0, (max((h.outer*256), 2) + -1)) {
          for (w.inner, 0, 512) {
            if (((h.outer*256) < ((max((h.outer*256), 2) - h.inner) + 1))) {
                if ((((max((h.outer*256), 2) - h.inner) + -256) <= (h.outer*256))) {
                  if (((h.outer*256) < (max((h.outer*256), 2) - h.inner))) {
                        taskDataOutput_T0_L1[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + (h.inner - max((h.outer*256), 2))) + w.outer)*512) + w.inner) + 131071)] = previousStageTensor[(((((((c.inner + h.outer)*256) + (h.inner - max((h.outer*256), 2))) + w.outer)*512) + w.inner) + 131071)]
                      }
                    }
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

I guess some of my problem arises from wanting to generate code which will be static analysable

• What I mean by this (sorry if this isnt the correct terminology) is to generate code which will have resolved all the different paths of the execution.

I have looked into some of the VTA code and I guess that the rely on the VTARuntime being called inside of the compiled module which is capable of resolving (dynamically) all the paths.
Would this be the “preferred way” to do this?
Any comments?@tqchen @zhiics @eqy @xqdan

I have face a problem very similar with yours. You can have a look

[Discuss] Modify PassUpDomain for efficiency

Hi, sorry I can not totally understand your means. But it seems there are some misunderstand (I guess) on LoopPartition.
LoopPartition is used for the case below.
In this case, we can easy find the if-condition is always true expect the first iteration.

//before
for (i,0,10) {
if(likely(i>0)) {
funcA()
}
funcB()
}

So we can simple the code to this pattern, which can save time by reducing 9 condition check, which is especially harmful for efficiency on CUDA.

//after
for (i,0,1) {
funcB()
}
for (i,1,9) {
funcA()
funcB()
}

So this is the meaning of LoopPartition

Thanks for your reply,

I will look into your post and see how similar your problem is to mine and maybe reply there.

Concerning LoopPartition your examples are “easy” cases to resolve.
In the general case any block of nested for loops and any conditional execution (which depends on the iteration variable and have a constant condition) should be “partitionable”.
Granted the code of produce taskDataOutput_T0_L1 (with splitting) is a more complex example and is the reason why LoopPartition creates such an obfuscated (I don’t even know if its correct) program flow.

I don’t know of any hard constraints of when not to use LoopPartition, but some of the original developers and reviewers of the PR were tagged in my last reply. Maybe they can clear some things.