Type casting a buffer

If I have a buffer of type int8, and I want to treat it as a buffer of int32, what is the best way to do it? Right now, I do

x32 = tvm.decl_buffer(x8.shape, 'int32', 'name', x8.data,
                      x8.strides, x8.elem_offset, x8.scope,
                      x8.data_alignment, x8.offset_factor)

i.e. create a new buffer with the same parameters as before, but with a different type. This is just for prototyping (the shapes are incorrect, etc.), but I was wondering if there is a better way of doing it.

What I really want is to do x8.vload(0, 'int32x32'), i.e. a load of a vector of i32 from a buffer of type int8.

creating a buffer view is one way to do it.

On the other hand, making most buffers have a single element type will compiler’s life easy. Can you elaborate why do we want the alias int8 buffer as in32 instead of directly declaring it as int32?

I’m trying to generate LLVM intrinsics for HVX instructions. A vector register doesn’t have a type, so in assembly it’s possible to do

v0 = vadd(v0.b, v1.b)   // treat v0 as vector of bytes
  v1 = vsub(v0.w, v2.w)   // treat v0 as vector of words

Originally HVX was programmed using C intrinsics, and for each of these, there is an LLVM intrinsic. To allow the above assembly in C, all C and LLVM intrinsics are declared as working on vectors of int32 (regardless of what type they actually operate on).

As a consequence, if we have a buffer of int8 and we want to invoke an LLVM vector intrinsic for HVX, we have to use type int32x32.

Maybe one bit stray from the point, I think we could implement it in CodeGen. Like this:

// LLVM's HVX vector intrinsics don't include the type of the
  // operands, they all operate on vectors of 32 bit integers.
  for (size_t i = 0; i < arg_value.size(); i++) {
    auto intrinsic_arg_type = f->getFunctionType()->getParamType(i);
    if (arg_value[i]->getType() != intrinsic_arg_type) {
      if (intrinsic_arg_type->isVectorTy()) {
        arg_value[i] = builder_->CreateBitCast(arg_value[i], intrinsic_arg_type);
      }
    }
  }

Then we call LLVM intrinsic function and could get the correct assembly.