Unifying Object Protocol in the Stack

Given that we have conclusion (?) over the previous two topics, let’s start another topic.

Is this part of our topic to make everything in the node system POD-C, so that we can use them cross C ABI?

This sis something that we can keep in mind and gradually do. But yes it would be an interesting goal especially for FFI and DLL boundaries

We can have a global registry and node system across tvm, mx, dgl, etc

There are actually more to think about:

1. Subclass NDArrays
  2. Sparse format
  3. relay.Constant silently assumes the constant is NDArray, which is not convenient for downstream projects. What about moving to Object?

I created a formal RFC given most of the technical decisions are cleared. https://github.com/dmlc/tvm/issues/4116

Hi Tianqi,

We tried to upgrade to the latest object protocol, and everything seems pretty smooth. And also, one great benefit noted is that we have more control over the objects, like changing deleters, etc.

Just out of curiosity, the definition of NodeRef is still standalone, which is actually different from simple aliases like Node, or NodePtr. Is this inconsistency by design, or just legacy?

I think that is just a legacy item that we need to remove and then alias ObjectRef as NodeRef

As we know, TVMValue is a superset of TVM object, which may be TVM object or other POD type (https://github.com/apache/incubator-tvm/blob/e91cc5aba8f99ffe216a6188edf6818e1b87237f/include/tvm/runtime/c_runtime_api.h#L150).

I was just wondering if it is possible to unify those POD types with TVM object - this would be helpful when we want to move POD types into TVM containers.

we are moving towards that. There are a few options:

Option1 is to introduce Object counterpart for each pod type(int float) and allow automatic conversions between the object and the pod values. This is a bit like java

Option2 is to wrap TVMRetValue in an object, this is a bit strange though

Option 3 is to introduce a Value concept, eg make TVMRetValue a first pass thing. There are trade offs in this though because now value and objects needs two words(one for code and one for ptr) and that also means quite drastic changes to FFI

Right now I feel option1 is perhaps the best

I am not sure if I understand Option 1, does it mean that we introduce Integer, Float classes like Java? The problem is that it incurs some overhead in unpadded atomic ref counting, which is actually not necessary for immutable POD types.

Option 2, if I understand correctly, means to add a new object subclass that contains TVMTypeCode and TVMValue. I was thinking about this previously, but I didn’t think it actually addressed any issue.

The fundamental reason that I asked about this is that it seems to me that TVMTypeCode and type_index are basically very similar things, so I am wondering if those two things can be merged.

if we use these objects for every computation, then we are in bad shape.On the other hand, the need of object is mainly for the cases of container objects(e.g) and I believe they are not as bad for argument passing. I have thought about making type_index and TVMTypeCode consistent, I think eventually they should be as consistent as possible(e.g. use the typecode id for integer container’s type_index), however, seems we are also fine with the current setup.