Warp memory in InferBound

I’m working with a buffer that bound to warp scope. In src/te/schedule/message_passing.cc:208:

PrimExpr outer = state.at(s->outer);
PrimExpr inner = state.at(s->inner);
PrimExpr factor = dom_map.at(s->inner)->extent;
PrimExpr parent_min = dom_map.at(s->parent)->min;
state[s->parent] = inner + outer * factor;
// add min if they exist
if (!is_zero(parent_min)) {
    state[s->parent] = state[s->parent] + parent_min;
}

I found threadIdx.y is presented both in state[s->parent] and parent_min in my application, so the result becomes threadIdx.y + threadIdx.y + ..., which leads to a wrong boundary checking in the end.

I tracked down state[s->parent]. In src/te/operation/op_util.cc:167, there is a code piece that handles different thread indices for different storage scope:

runtime::ThreadScope ts = runtime::ThreadScope::make(bind_iv->thread_tag);
if (stage->scope == "" || stage->scope == "warp" ||
    static_cast<int>(runtime::StorageScope::make(stage->scope).rank) <= ts.rank) {
    value_map[iv] = var;
} else {
    value_map[iv] = dom->min;
}

I think the purpose of the code above is like:

• Both threadIdx and blockIdx should be indices of a global memory buffer.
  • threadIdx should be a indies of a shared memory buffer, but blockIdx should not.

I think here is a defect on warp memory. threadIdx.x (suppose the extent of threadIdx.x equals to the warp size) should indeed be a index of a warp buffer, but threadIdx.y should not. Currently it seems that both threadIdx.x and threadIdx.y are counted as indices.

I have not figured out the whole picture yet, and I have not constructed a simple enough counter-example. I think the code piece above is not the only code that handles warp memory in bound inference. Where does parent_min decided? And should be consider the situation that extent of threadIdx.x < warp size?

1 Like

The problem is basically fixed in PR #5382, but I’m still not very clear of the whole picture.