[ONNX] Failed to execute certain ONNX model on CUDA `CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_PTX`

Hi there,

When I was trying to execute ProxylessNAS on CUDA devices, following the pipeline PyTorch -> ONNX -> TVM, I met following errors with cuda error code CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_PTX

Testing proxyless_net1
Exception occurs: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  [bt] (3) /home/yaoyao/miniconda3/envs/python37/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tvm-0.6.dev0-py3.7-linux-x86_64.egg/tvm/libtvm.so(TVMFuncCall+0x65) [0x7f5f53b04ff5]
  [bt] (2) /home/yaoyao/miniconda3/envs/python37/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tvm-0.6.dev0-py3.7-linux-x86_64.egg/tvm/libtvm.so(std::_Function_handler<void (tvm::runtime::TVMArgs, tvm::runtime::TVMRetValue*), tvm::runtime::detail::PackFuncVoidAddr_<4, tvm::runtime::CUDAWrappedFunc>(tvm::runtime::CUDAWrappedFunc, std::vector<tvm::runtime::detail::ArgConvertCode, std::allocator<tvm::runtime::detail::ArgConvertCode> > const&)::{lambda(tvm::runtime::TVMArgs, tvm::runtime::TVMRetValue*)#1}>::_M_invoke(std::_Any_data const&, tvm::runtime::TVMArgs&&, tvm::runtime::TVMRetValue*&&)+0xb6) [0x7f5f53b81fb6]
  [bt] (1) /home/yaoyao/miniconda3/envs/python37/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tvm-0.6.dev0-py3.7-linux-x86_64.egg/tvm/libtvm.so(tvm::runtime::CUDAWrappedFunc::operator()(tvm::runtime::TVMArgs, tvm::runtime::TVMRetValue*, void**) const+0x832) [0x7f5f53b81e32]
  [bt] (0) /home/yaoyao/miniconda3/envs/python37/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tvm-0.6.dev0-py3.7-linux-x86_64.egg/tvm/libtvm.so(dmlc::LogMessageFatal::~LogMessageFatal()+0x43) [0x7f5f533c2a33]
  File "/home/yaoyao/repos/tvm/src/runtime/cuda/cuda_module.cc", line 111
  File "/home/yaoyao/repos/tvm/src/runtime/module_util.cc", line 73
CUDAError: Check failed: ret == 0 (-1 vs. 0) : cuModuleLoadData(&(module_[device_id]), data_.c_str()) failed with error: CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_PTX
Testing proxyless_net2
Successfully.

After looking around, CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_PTX hints the problem might be related with PTX JIT compiler. However, the tvm runtime works well when I load the ResNet from torchvision. Could you help on this?

The code to re-produce is attached on Github and the environment we are using is

• GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
  • TVM: latest commit 45878ff2ab111b55448cf62e34bc58eb3e36b671
  • CUDA: 10.1
  • CUDNN: 7.0

Update, we have figured out that the issue might be caused by 7x7 conv kernel. After replacing 7x7 kernels to 3x3, the module can run without error.

Have you tuned your model with AutoTVM?
The default config might be invalid (too many threads, too much shared memory …)

The opt_level is set to 1. I have tried to set it to 3, but the same error still occurs…

I’ve tried to tune with AutoTVM, however it is still the same error. Is there anything special with 7x7 conv2d?

Did you always meet the error during tuning of 7x7 conv?

This happens randomly. In some cases, the problem can run without any error. I haven’t figured out what exactly triggers it.

continued at GPU schedule fails on 7x7 depth-wise conv when num_channels is multiple of 32

Current workthrough is to auto tune 7x7 kernels instead of using the default schedule.