[Quantization] Quantizer fails with specific layers

Hello,

while trying to quantize a pretty huge model, I’m facing some limitations with the quantizer. When reaching certain layers, I receive the following error:

/home/anonymus/tvm/src/relay/quantize/quantize.cc:49: Check failed: data->shape.size() != 0 (0 vs. 0) : Input shape cannot be empty

My current workaround is to use the skip_conv_layers parameter to switch off the quantization of ‘problematic’ layers, which approach works fine - the rest of the model can be quantized.

Here is an excerpt of the IR around the operations that generate the previous error:

%60 = relay.op.annotation.simulated_quantize(meta[relay.Constant][14], %dom_scale5, %clip_min5, %clip_max5, kind=2);
  %61 = nn.conv2d(%59, %60, padding=[1, 1, 1, 1], channels=64, kernel_size=[3, 3], data_layout="NHWC", kernel_layout="HWIO");
  %62 = relay.op.annotation.simulated_quantize(%61, %dom_scale6, %clip_min6, %clip_max6, kind=1);
  %63 = annotation.cast_hint(%62, meta[relay.attrs.CastHintAttrs][1]);
  %64 = annotation.stop_fusion(%63);
  %65 = add(%58, %64);
  %66 = relay.op.annotation.simulated_quantize(0.2f, %dom_scale7, %clip_min7, %clip_max7, kind=2) an internal invariant was violated while typechecking your program [10:15:12] /home/anonymus/tvm/src/relay/quantize/quantize.cc:49: Check failed: data->shape.size() != 0 (0 vs. 0) : Input shape cannot be empty
; ;
  %67 = multiply(%65, %66);
  %68 = relay.op.annotation.simulated_quantize(0.5f, %dom_scale8, %clip_min8, %clip_max8, kind=2) an internal invariant was violated while typechecking your program [10:15:12] /home/anonymus/tvm/src/relay/quantize/quantize.cc:49: Check failed: data->shape.size() != 0 (0 vs. 0) : Input shape cannot be empty
; ;
  %69 = add(%67, %68);

It seems to me that certain add/multiply combinations generate this issue, which have apparently a constant parameter to the relay.op.annotation.simulated_quantize(...) function.

Would anyone have an idea what could cause this? Any tips & hints are more than welcome!

Best regards, Robert

1 Like

Since I’m not an expert on the topic, could you @vinx13 maybe help or have an idea what is possibly going wrong here? :innocent:

1 Like

Hi @robeastbme. I encountered the same problem with another model. Could you please tell me how you found the problematic layers? (I see your ir has some debug info, how did you generate that?) Thanks.